Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's NOT 30 feet long!

One evening in the level 2 atrium, a revelation took place:

It is possible to create timelines within a reasonable amount of space. Wow. Really!

Previously when the children re-created timelines, they recreated the e.n.t.i.r.e. strip - its entire length. The Fettuccia the catechists were able to convince the children to substantially shorten, but it still took a LOT of paper and it just didn't seem to be truly fulfilling the children as much as filling their *time*. My son loves timelines and even he came home with some of what seemed more to be "busywork", although he genuinely does get a lot out of making scrolls and timelines.

And genuine artwork has been an ongoing struggle to find and maintain a good balance of creativity and keeping it atrium appropriate - a balance between catechist control and child expression - a balance between meaningful work and "I get to draw and I don't know what else to do, so I know I can draw."

I myself am still seeing the most appropriate approach from the beginning of the year - the best I have found thus far is:

  • This time is a gift for you - use it wisely - as we wisely use all gifts we have received. Or should. 
  • Your artwork is a prayer - keep it thus. 
Along that second point, I found a neat book that I would like to introduce to the level 3 children soon - about prayer through art: 

Brother Joseph: The Painter of Icons (Golden Key Books)


And the children LOVE art! And timelines!


Well, the catechist was so excited when I came in to return something to her. Not because I was returning something (I am forever borrowing items!) but because of this beautiful piece of art!

"It's NOT THIRTY FEET LONG!" She proclaimed.

And it was BEAUTIFUL! It showed true work on the part of the child, true connections - all the important stuff is there - the child had to think about how to place each item in a way that it would "fit" and still be "proportionate" (though I am guessing the child was not conscious of that thought-process while working, which is the true beauty of true Montessori work).

So I asked if I could take photos (see side photo - like it could be missed! ;) )

And then I did a poor job of cropping it together ;) I forgot my camera has a panoramic setting! Oops. Maybe next time.


Isn't it beautiful though?


The shooting star looks like a fish - and that is a symbol for Jesus too - so it works ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment